So, I’ve been teaching myself Python lately. This is partly due to work and partly due to wanting to do this for a few years now. Pretty quickly after I moved to Linux full time many years ago, the whole concept of programming and scripting really excited me. I quickly learned that with bash, I could make the computer do what would normally take me multiple hours of clicking here and clicking there and still not getting done.
EDIT: Ignore this, I’ve moved back to Pelican because
Python == 'amazing'.
I’m now using Jekyll to create my blog. Since I’ve started working at The Church Online, I’ve seen a lot of dynamic sites at work and I must admit there is a definite draw there. I’m just not into dynamic content on my own personal site for a few main reasons.
Docker has been on the scene for a while now. It’s being used to simplify workflows all the way from the first steps of development through to launch and onward with support and upgrades. I’ve been messing with Docker for roughly a year or so now and I have to admit that it’s great. It’s changed the way that I do a lot of software testing and deployment, both at home and at work.
The Raspberry Pi is anything but a powerhouse, but it excels in a lot of lightweight applications that rely on 24/7 uptime. Its power-sipping processor makes it amazing for simple things like acting as an ssh gateway for your home network or hosting any number of network applications from inside your home network. Today, I’ll go over my process to set up ddclient on the Raspberry Pi to automatically update a domain that I have purchased with the external ip of my network.
Syncthing is a great tool for liberating your data from cloud storage providers. While Dropbox, SpiderOak, and Google Drive are great services, the trade-off for such a great and simple product is privacy and loss of control. Syncthing can get you the main function of these services (automated file syncing between systems) without the need to give up control of your data to a third party.
A few months ago, I was having issues with my home network. Moving more than 10 feet away from the router would drop my connection percentage down to under 50%, which means I was connecting at less than half of the already slow 56Mb connection. Needless to say, this wasn’t going to cut it.